Tuesday, November 15, 2011

My Home Studio Workflow


!±8± My Home Studio Workflow

Now that you bought all of your equipment, and you have your home studio, I bet you're wondering what to do now. I can tell this is you, "Wow, I have Ableton Live 8, a midi keyboard, my guitar, and my audio interface, but I don't know what to do. Many musicians face this problem of not knowing what to do next. But, with a little guidance, and an understanding of an established musician's home recording studio work-flow, you can be well on your way to recording your music happily.

In my home studio, my equipment is Ableton Live 6, FL Studio, a Mid Air 37, my Gateway computer, my asio supportive sound-card, my M-Audio Audio Buddy interface, a condenser mic, a pencil mic, microphone cables, guitar cables, my guitars, and my headphones. Phew! I'm guessing that you're thinking that that is a great deal of equipment. Yes it is alot of equipment, but I bought that equipment over about a 2 year span (4 years if you include when I got my guitars).

With this equipment, for a standard song, I turn on my midi keyboard, open up Ableton Live, and get my guitars. From there, I must think: Do I want to go directly into my audio interface (cable straight from my guitar right into the Audio Buddy interface) or do I want to hook up my amp, and mic it with the pencil mic. Going direct-in, or micing up your amp does have an effect on your music. If you go direct-in then your guitar track(s) will be thinner, maybe cheesier, and have a weak bottom, but it will be much easier to use, because you can add the effects in your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation). This is the route to go if you are a novice. If you choose to mic up your amp you will have fatter, beefier guitar tracks, and a fat bottom, but it will be difficult to find the right configuration (you must consider the effects, the room, the echo, and alot of other factors).

After choosing between direct-in or micing up my amp, I open up FL Studio to make my drum tracks, or loops. After I finish my drum track, I mix it and master it, then I export it as a wave file. After I export it, I close FL Studio and open Ableton Live up again. I open up the drum track wave file, and I put the file in an Ableton Live track.

After I have the drums finished, I get my bass guitar and go direct-in (for bass guitars direct-in sounds just as good as micing it up). I record my bass track, and then I get my electric or acoustic guitar (depending on the song I am recording). I hook up my guitar, (direct-in or mic-it-up, whichever one I chose) and I record my guitar track.

After I finish my guitar track I'm done with my song right.... WRONG. You still have to mix it and master it. After I mix and master the song I am finished and I render the song as a wave file, and share it with the world.

Now that you know my home studio work-flow, I believe that you can create your own work-flow and be well on your way to recording your music.


My Home Studio Workflow

Wireless Fence Small Dogs Cheap K Town Kirkland Discount




No comments:

Post a Comment


Twitter Facebook Flickr RSS



Fran�ais Deutsch Italiano Portugu�s
Espa�ol ??? ??? ?????







Sponsor Links